[at-l] Intros

Heck... I am home early today. Might as well throw my
.02 worth in. :-)

>Name: Paul Magnanti

> Trail Name:  has evolved into Mags.

More than just a trail name for me as it is
what people call me in "real life".
Two Pauls at work. Guess what I am called?
Friends call me Paul Mags (or just Mags).
A shortened version of my last name.
Pronounced Mag-nan-ti in American English (rhymes with
bag-fan-tea). Pronounced Mah-nyan-tee in Italian (the
"nyan" like lasagna).  Since my trip to Italy, been
using the original pronounciation more often.

Yeah..isn't Mags easier to say? :D It is also a
nickname that has been in my family for 80+ years.

> Where you live:
Boulder, CO. Where the high plains meets the Rockies.

> Occupation:
Computer Tech. I think logically and analytically.
Been using computers since I was 12. Fell into the
job. Pays the bills. Suspect I will change occupations
within four years.

> Marital Status:
No significant other at this time.
(a two year on/off relationship finally ended in
November. 'course said that a  few times in the past
two years. :D)

> Family:

Biological: Mom, Dad. two younger brothers. Two
grandmothers still alive. One of 16 grandchildren on
Mom's side. Everyone is still back in RI and within 10
minutes of each other(except for 2 other cousins)

The family I see in Boulder: Many friends I am close
to. They are as important to me as my "Real" family.
Have been to their weddings, holidays, ; shared beers,
dreams and hopes. I have been there for them when they
needed me. They have been there when I needed them.

Buddies back East: a long, shared history. Our paths
have diverged, but the roots aren't forgotten. These
roots made me what I am today.

If you can't tell, I consider my friends a very
important part of my family.

> Age:
I'll be 32 in May.

> Favorite Trail:
Whichever one I am hiking at the time to be honest! :)

LOCAL TRAIL: The Bear Peak Loop. 7 miles of wonderful
trail. Some of it is on a ridge with wonderful views
of the Indian Peaks (and the continental divide)
The trailhead is five-ten minutes from my house.

ROCKIES: I never, ever get sick of the Pawnee
Pass/Buchannan Pass loop. ~27 miles of gorgeous
mountain scenery. The trail goes over the divide
twice. The western side of the divide always has
wildflowers beyond compare in the summer; golden
aspens in the fall.

> Favorite AT section:
Franconia Ridge.  I love ridge walks above treeline.
Incredible views, raw beauty, the wind whipping by.
For East coast hiking, you don't get much more above
treeline than NH. And in New Hampshire the crown jewel
of above treeline experience is Franconia Ridge. Mt.
Lafayette was also my first hike on a mountain
(and my first time on the AT).

You can read about it (with a blurry pic
of a twelve year old version of me) at:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/troop_71.htm

> Other than the AT, the trail you most want to hike:

The CDT!

> Trails completely hiked:

Long Trail (twice, '97 and '99), Appalachian Trail
('98), Pacific Crest Trail ('02) Colorado Trail ('04).

> Trails you want to complete:

CDT, Hayduke Trail (Utah), Sierra High Route, Great
Divide Trail (Canada), Italian Peninsula Hike
(Top of boot to toe. Maybe Sicily. Not a trail per
se..but a route I hope to do at some point)

> Hiking topic(s) you know a bit about:

I have no idea. A little of everything? Not enough
about anything? :)

> Other hobbies, interests:

Try to be an active outdoors person all year around.
In addition to hiking,  snowshoe, backcountry ski
(badly),
 trail run(slowly) and road run (limited).

Took up running in Jan 2003. Have done 4 marathons
(26.2) since then,a 25k trail run, a trail-half
marathon (13.1 miles) , and  a double marathon (52.4
miles). Failed at my first 100 mile attempt (Leadville
100. 71/100 miles. Have to go back and do it correct
next time!)

Love to read, esp. history.  Tend to specialize in ww2
history. Been on a Lewis and Clark kick since
the CDT has been more of a possibility (with the
bi-centennial of their exploration, much new info as
well)

Into studying family history and related topics (hence
the desire to  hike Italy).

Enjoy coooking, a good beer and a good glass of wine.
(or two).

Been getting in photography on a more serious basis
due to encouragement of friends and AT-L's very own
Jim Bullard. Will have my first "exhibit" at a local
coffee shop in March and at another one in June.

> Anything else you want the list to know:

Went to Italy in Sept. 2005. Saw the village where my
family came from originally, meet distant cousins,
visited the Anzio beachhead (where the toughest
Magnanti of them all,my grandfather Domenic, served in
the American army). A very emotional and important
pilgrimage for me.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com