[at-l] Re: SORUCK Suggestions

George, I'm going to try and be as diplomatic as possible but I'm not very PC so please excuse the rough edges.

Sly,
I would never accuse you of being diplomatic,  PC or having smooth edges.  In fact, I have never heard anyone refer to you in those derogatory terms and would come to your immediate defense should any scoundrel try.  :)  If you are trying to hurt my feelings you have failed miserably.

Among my many faults is that of hyper-enthusiam-disorder.  H.E.D.    My only purpose in bringing the subject up was to stimulate conversation and planning for the future.  Period.  I enjoyed the Ruck so much that I would heart-and-soul like to make it even better.  My only point is that the SoRuck is growing and will continue to grow and if (the collective) you/we want to shape it for the future then now is the time.  That's just the way I approach life.  If not, then that's just peachy too.  I really don't have a dog in that fight and will be happy to let it go.  Because of your response I will clarify my position and then speak of it no more.

The Ruck was never about being a trade show.  It's about hikers and hiking.   Talking in person, getting from point A to B, in the head and in pictures.

To you.  Any your opinion is valid and so is that of the other 120+ who were there.  There were over 120 people in attendance and they all came for various reasons.  We all brought something different to the table which is what made it so fantastic.  Who am I to suggest why you should come to a gathering of hikers?  I am just one of many.  There were some of us who only came to hear Circuit Rider share from his heart.  There were some who came only for the beer.  (I came for both those reasons and more)  We each come to a gathering like this for our own reasons.  Some despise vendors, some eagerly look forward to them.  Which  camp is the correct one?

Look, you/us/we have several choices before us IMVHO.  Among these are A) do nothing and let it happen and live with the results or change someday as needed,  B) decide where this thing-that-has-been-created is going and steer it.  Pros and cons to both.  That is my only point.  Do we/us/you/them want to limit the size of the SoRuck?  How about 120 slots only at first come, first served?  Who gets accepted and who gets turned away?  Who decides?  (Sorry ma'am but there's already a full quota of thru-hikers-about-to-be registered but we can pencil you in for the 2009 Ruck to get tuckerized if you act fast.)  These are hard questions to be considered and I beg your forgiveness for bringing them up.  It was not my intention to offend.  If anyone has been offended by my email than I am truely sorry.

Of course, everyone likes to see and buy new gear but frankly there isn't enough room at the present venue to host very many vendors.

 I agree.  That was the point of my discussing the subject.  Some definately came for the gear and the NOC has its good points and bad points.  Many more good than bad IMHO.

I didn't agonize to secure it and get Kleinrath Hall for anything but presentations.  With the number of people attending, I don't think it's right to continuosly jam the dining hall with both meals and presentations.  The room itself needs to be relieved of stress as do the attendess.  I prefer, my "vision" is of using the two halls and having the hikes and the geocache and having people to get out and walk, to get some fresh air between scheduling.

You say:

"I will talk it over with the events director at NOC and see
what she would suggest."

I've already had people call NOC behind my back asking about this and that about the SoRuck.  It becomes a total fustercluck with several of us calling, talking to several others at the NOC.  As coordinator it creates twice the work and three times the headaches.

I have had  commercial contact with NOC for various reasons for years and was just trying to be helpful not 'go behind your back'.  Again, there are no known treatments for hyper-enthusiam-disorder except maybe a tranquilizer dart.  (Get the gun Ethel!)

Here's what I suggest, let it go.  I'll repeat, the Ruck was never about being a trade show.  It's about hikers and hiking. ..  If you all want to usurp my postition as coordinator for 2007 just let me know before deciding behide my back.  Other than that, if you can accept what I'm saying for the time being, for 2007, you're more than welcome in 2008 to take over in 2008 and try it your way.

One of the responsibilities of being coordinator is having to make decisions.  You make those decisions based on input.  I have (perhaps too freely?)  given you mine knowing that you needed it to make the hard decisions that you have been asked to make.  I hope others have given or will continue to give you their input also to help you with your job.  But it is your job.

One of the responsibilities of those being coordinated is living with the decisions you make knowing they are the best compromise of all input considered.    I do that gladly.  You are the man and there is nothing here for me to let go.  Really.  I meant every word of what I said about your great job with 2006 and expect 2007 to be even better.  How can I help make your job easier?

Please don't read anything into my H.E.D. induced suggestions than what was there but keep the dart gun close at hand.  :)
Tin Man