[at-l] Great Advice

When hiking or even in civilization  when going to purchase hiking gear it is
possible that wallets will be  lost.  What to do?  What to do?  Read on!

It would be wise to read this, pass  it along to all your friends.  Good
advice!

ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE

Read this and make a copy for your  files in case you need to refer to it
someday. Maybe we should all take some  of his advice! A corporate attorney sent
the following out to the employees in  his company.
1. Do not sign the back of your credit  cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID
REQUIRED."
2. When you are writing checks to  pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT
put the complete account number on  the "For" line. Instead, just put the last
four numbers. The credit card  company knows the rest of the number, and
anyone who might be handling your  check as it passes through all the check
processing channels won't have access  to it.
3. Put your work phone # on your  checks instead of your home phone. If you
have a PO Box use that instead of  your home address. If you do not have a PO
Box, use your work address. Never  have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!)
You can add it if it is  necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can
get it.
4. Place the contents of your  wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides
of each license, credit card,  etc., You will know what you had in your wallet
and all of the account  numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.   Keep
the  photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I
travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud
that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number,
credit cards.
Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have  firsthand knowledge because my wallet
was stolen last month. Within a week,  the thieve(s) ordered an expensive
monthly cell phone package, applied for a  VISA credit card, had a credit line
approved to buy a Gateway computer,  received a PIN number from DMV to change my
driving record information online,  and more. But here's some critical
information to limit the damage in case  this happens to you or someone you know:
5. We have been told we should  cancel our credit cards immediately. But the
key is having the toll free  numbers and your card numbers handy so you know
whom to call. Keep those where  you can find them.
6. File a police report immediately  in the jurisdiction where your credit
cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to  credit providers you were diligent,
and this is a first step toward an  investigation (if there ever is one).
But here's what is perhaps most  important of all: (I never even thought to
do this.)
7. Call the 3 national credit  reporting organizations immediately to place a
fraud alert on your name and  also call the Social Security fraud line
number. I had never heard of doing  that until advised by a bank that called to tell
me an application for credit  was made over the Internet in my name. The
alert means any company that checks  your credit knows your
information was stolen, and they have to  contact you by phone to authorize
new credit.
By the time I was advised to do  this, almost two weeks after the theft, all
the damage had been done. There  are records of all the credit checks
initiated by the thieves' purchases, none  of which I knew about before placing the
alert. Since then, no additional  damage has been done, and the thieves threw my
wallet away this weekend  (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped
them dead in their tracks.
Now, here are the numbers you  always need to contact about your wallet,
etc., has been stolen:
1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
2.) Experian (formerly TRW):  1-888-397-3742
3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
4.) Social Security Administration (fraud  line): 1-800-269-0271
We pass along jokes on the  Internet; we pass along just about everything.
If you are willing to  pass this information along, it could really help
someone that you care about.