[at-l] PA Ruck Tuckerization volunteer(s) needed

Next Saturday, at the Ruck, I need one (or maybe two) volunteers who would
like to have their pack contents analyzed to see where they might be able to
drop a few pounds (or grams) and lighten their loads in preparation for
their upcoming thruhike.  In recent years, this has gotten quite difficult
as prospective thruhikers have shown up with packs that have already been
pared to less than 20 pound base weight.

Here are characteristics of the ideal candidate:

- base pack weight (ei. with no food or water packed) is more than 30 pounds
- planning on thruhiking this year
- is truly interested in lightening their load
- has a thick enough skin to receive suggestions in a public setting  :-}

While not as ideal, I will also consider those planning on section hiking
this year or planning a thruhike for next year.  Also those whose packs are
a bit lighter than 30 pounds will also be considered if necessary.

If you are planning on thruhiking this year and have already pared your base
weight to the 15-20 pound range, I could also use your help.  Showing
lightweight versions of heavyweight items can be useful in understanding why
and how lightweight backpacking really works.

I you could let me know by this Wednesday if you would like to volunteer,
that would be great.  Even if you can't let me know in advance, please bring
your pack.  Last minute volunteers are welcome, too.

Barring suitable volunteers, I may come prepared to give at least some
portions of my Lightweight Backpacking workshop but I hope that's not
necessary.  Tuckerizing is so much more fun.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor