[at-l] New (sort of) member

>to come out of lurking mode and introduce myself.  I love to hike, have done many weekend backpacking trips, >but no long distance, live near the AT in the NC/TN area, and am planning a thru-hike with take-off date this >March.  LOL.

You see, Wanda, they don't bite. LOL.
 Not you, anyway, only each other. And only if they haven't been let out of their cages in awhile.

>I certainly enjoy the vast array of knowledge and opinions on this list and expect you can answer any questions I may >be brave enough to ask!

Anyone brave enough to rearrange their life to start the At is MORE than up to the task of handling this list.
I'll take a crack at your questions too.

>1. What is the proper place/method to dispose of empty fuel canisters? Can they go in regular trash containers?

I don't have experience with cannisters. Some one on here will though, or REI will know.

On my thru: There were a variety of stoves in the cold month of March, or even April, and then most everything I saw was a straight, simple alcohol stove. Some people even went cold (no stove) at that point.

Me, I loved a hot something at the end of the day, even in summer. Comfort food. Four-cheese mashed potatoes or stovetop stuffing, a foil pack of turket and a gravy pack was one of my favorite meals. Mexican-chili-flavored ramen plus dried, ground refried beans was another fave. Cajun red-beans-and-rice with refried beans tossed in for fiber, protien and carbs were another. Mmm, I'm talking myself into a hiking meal for lunch.
But, the point is, one pot of hot water suffices. perhaps a second pot if you want an evening tea or chocolate. After the first month, you'll stop cooking breakfast.
That's what's cool about the Trail.  IT teaches you what to do. There's a natural flow.

I don't know the answers to your other questions, but a number of shelters at the start have bear cables, and you'll learn to hang your food.
Skeeter here could give you some tips.
Bears aren't as much of a worry for me as they once were. Treat bears with respect for their opportunistic nature, feel the awe if you do see one, and don't make it easy for them to get your food.

Thanks for "coming out" and sharing your start-up energy.
It will be fun to follow your journal, as we are about the same age.
The Young-Old Shoe