[at-l] wow, running parts of the AT for charity?

I did a google news search for AT and came up with a few hits:

In 1983, a group of trail runners from Atlanta asked him to run the first
section of the Appalachian Trail to raise money for the Heart Association.
He and the group ran 94 miles of the trail beginning at Springer Mountain,
Ga., over a three-day weekend. For the next several years, the group met in
September to run north on the trail for the next 100 miles.

The same guy finished the AT just this year, amzing when you consider that
he has arthritis, a hip replacement and a blown-out knee.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_77720.asp

And another nice story about two friends section hiking for 15 years and
completing this year:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051212/NEWS02/512120301/1018

A young man flip-flop thru-hikes this year and surpises his family at
Thanksgiving:
"Eric had gone almost five months without a shave or a haircut, so he looked
kind of like Jesus."
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20051211/localnews/47064.shtml

Hum.. I'll keep an eye on this one, it doesn't sound good:
Supervisors who voted for the measure say they support Traditions' proposal
because the company plans to leave about 15 acres adjacent to the
Appalachian Trail as open space and Traditions was willing to put less than
the maximum number of homes on the lot.
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/01/09/news/news09.txt