[at-l] Approach Trail to Springer

In a message dated 1/6/2006 1:23:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gwbrown1@gmail.com writes:
I asked the same question back when I was hoping to do my own thru in
'06.  From all I've read on the subject and from what I've read on the
list and from the people I have talked with in person I think I can
say that it is considered tradition to start your hike from Amicola
Falls where you can get your pack weighed and (I believe) put your
name down with the park rangers and an official thru-hiker.

Best of luck on your hike!!  I wish I were still going this year but
I'll have to wait until a bit later.

Greg
**

I did my thru in 03.
I drove to Amicalolla, weighed my pack, said good bye to my friends doing the
approach trail, then drove to the Springer access & took my pack to Springer
for the night. I recommend spending a night at Springer.... It just seems
right, no matter where you start. Having said that, I had already hiked the
approach trail that year. In january, at 5 below zero, south bound... So I figured I
didn't need to do it again.  Why not do the approach trail as a warm up hike,
test your gear? I did.

Bottom line. It's your hike. Do what you want. That goes for the whole hike..
Don't let people talk you into doing "their hike".

hotdog AT 03