[at-l] Approach Trail to Springer

In a message dated 1/6/2006 12:44:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nduvan@yahoo.com writes:

I'm in  the process of planning my 06' thru and was
wondering about the approach  trail to Springer.  I've
heard you can either hike that, some 8 odd  miles, or
hike in from a road .2 miles to the terminus.  I've
heard  it's tradition to hike the approach trail but am
looking for some more  input/opinion on the subject.

The Forest Road #42 parking lot is 0.9 miles to the top of  the mountain.  So
if you are hiking the first day and you wanted to get as  far up the trail as
you could (say Hawk Mt. Shelter) you would be walking about  9+ miles from S
the parking lot or 16+ from the Amicalola Falls entrance.   It is not that the
miles are added to the 2,174.5 miles which total the trail  but that miles
per day are what count.  Of course, the first day could be  to Springer Mt.
Shelter and be an 8+ day.  The guidebooks give the mileage  and anyone can figure
what their plans are.

Some who have hiked the Approach Trail have not made it to Springer but  have
camped along the Approach Trail and others just whiz by.  If you have  the
availability of a chauffeur you could go to Amicalola Falls and see the  Water
Fall, go in the store and sign the register and then get driven around to  the
US Forest Road #42 Parking Lot.  Many choices.

If you are certain that you can do 11 or so miles the first day you could
get a friend to drive your pack to the Parking Lot #42 and then breeze up the
hill and down the mountain without carrying.  Of course if you get stuck  along
the way it is a huge inconvenience.

In planning your hike, get the map, get the guidebook, and plan.  That  is
part of the fun!

Skylander