[at-l] (no subject)

New Year's Day was damp and chilly. Not raining. Not cold. Just damp and
chilly. I met two guys at Plumorchard Gap. We were talking about
football for some reason.  I said "Hey, did Boomer (Esiaison) say 'No
shit' on the Monday night game?" One of the guys said "See, I told you"
to the other. Pittsburgh and I had watched the Monday night game
together and I was sure that he had said it. I got to Dick's Creek Gap
in mid-afternoon. I got a ride and checked in at the jacuzzi-roomed
Holiday Inn Express. A hot soak and steak dinner later, my buddy
Pittsburgh was there for more football watching.

The next day, 1/2/99 was horrible. It was raining or sleeting most of the day. I
had to get on my hands and knees and crawl across the summit of some
rocky mountain (Tray Mtn, I think). I believe I was in Sassafras Gap
when I took this picture (http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/frozface.jpg)
My eyelashes were covered in ice.  I trudged on in the muck. I got to
Unicoi and was glad to find my buddy Pittsburgh there. I wasn't certain
he would be there. We went to Helen for more showers and pizza.

The next day, 1/3/99, was just cold and no rain. I cruised along pretty good.  I
stopped at Blue Mt. Shelter and talked to three kids from Alabama. I
said "Ain't 'Got You Where I Want You' a great song?" One of the kids
said "Hey, I saw them in concert New Year's Eve." I thought that was
cool. The more we talked, the more I found out about them. I actually
have met their grandmother. she lives in Bloomington. Small world, of
course.

I hiked on. When I got to Hogpen Gap parking lot, a man there asked me
if I was 'going camping'. I said "Yup. Couple more days anyway." The
Trail was covered in chunks of ice for several miles through this
stretch. I had this picture taken on
Cowrock Mtn (http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/cowrock.jpg) It was about
5:05 when I got to Neel's Gap. The store was closed. I looked in and
somebody came over and opened the door. There were three people inside
counting money and prepping the store for closing. They let me warm up
and drink coffee. It was FREEZING out. My beard thawed. They gave me a can of
pop. I
started up Blood Mt. right at dusk. There were people, and fires, all
over the rocky summit of Blood Mt. I was listening to the Packers/Niners
game and the radio and didn't even stop at the shelter. Did I mention
that it was cold AND windy?

I got to the shelter turn-off for Woodshole. I almost passed it because
there wasn't a sign for southbounders >:-|   I walked for what seemed
like miles down the blue-blaze. I stopped two times and nearly turned
around.  When I got to the shelter, I was amazed to find two other
bodies inside. One was awake. We talked a bit as I was setting up for
the night. Did I mention it was freezing? I asked if they were just out
for the weekend. The guy I was talking to said "Naaah. We're
thruhikers." "Northbounders?" I asked. "No."  "Who the hell are you?" I
asked, thinking that all the southbounders ahead of me were long gone.
"I'm QP. That's Windbraker."  "No F***ing way. I've been following you
guys for 5 months." We had a nice chat that night. I felt like they were
my long-lost brothers. (I knew that they weren't, however, because my
long-lost brothers are both in prison) It got down to 5? or less that
night. 5? is cold.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98