[at-l] Winter Backpacking

This is some great advice,  I am wondering about my bag myself!  Luckily I am heading to REI here in a week and I will be looking for a warmer bag (possibly)   I have slept in my bag in 30 degree weather in my down jacke and it was not too warm because I was sleeping in an open shelter.

  I REALLY enjoyed you link... it just wants me to hike right now.... hmmmmm

  Russ

Ken Bennett <bennett.ken@gmail.com> wrote:
  A couple of (random) things to consider:

1. I like to have a set of dry clothing inside my pack, in a ziploc bag,
inside my pack liner, that will NOT EVER get wet. This includes a set of
long johns and socks, of course, but I also include a pair of gloves and a
fleece hat. That way, no matter how wet I get hiking, I have dry clothes to
put on in camp. Dry clothes can be a lifesaver.

2. A second light, like a Photon microlight, is handy when it's going to be
dark for 14 hours a day. A candle lantern can provide warmth as well as
light.

3. A gasoline stove is probably the most reliable winter cooking option.
Canisters have problems below freezing, though I have used them
semi-successfully down to about 15-F -- but I wouldn't recommend it for a
first-time winter camper. Bring lots of food -- you need the fuel to keep
warm. Candy bars and Powerbars freeze and can break your teeth. Make or buy
a 'cozy' for your pot -- nothing worse than having your noodles freeze while
you are trying to eat them.

4. Consider an overnight trip in an area that you know well -- and keep it
within an easy walk out to the car or other civilization. A winter storm
that hits unexpectedly when you are 20 miles from the trailhead can ruin
your whole day. (Can't happen? The weather forecast will prevent this? See:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html)

5. Bring a down jacket -- not just to wear when you stop, or around camp,
but as part of your sleep system. Generally speaking, a 15-F bag won't
really be warm down to 15-F, but using your down jacket inside the bag to
cover your torso and arms adds a lot of warmth. Also, down booties are
*great* inside your bag. Bring something warm for your legs, too -- fleece
pants or something like that. I have worn my rain shell and pants to bed --
which really does keep you a lot warmer -- but this doesn't work if they are
soaking wet or frozen solid (BTDT on both counts). Think 'layering' when
you sleep, just like clothing.

6. The hot water in the Nalgene bottle trick is nice -- but be REAL SURE
about that lid. Test it with boiling water, and roll it around a lot. 'Nuff
said about that subject.

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun -- winter is a great time to
hike. It's quiet, peaceful, uncrowded, and there are no bugs. If the weather
is clear, the skies are awesome. Just be safe and careful -- little mistakes
that don't matter at all in the summer -- say, slipping off the rock and
falling into the stream -- are greatly magnified in the winter.

Cheers,

Ken