[at-l] What's an Outsider Anyway?

At 09:04 AM 12/30/2005 -0500, Bror8588@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/29/2005 8:10:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
>this is a
>damn nice place to live even if some folks do consider me an outsider.
>Outsider?  What does that mean?  If people get to know you and you make a
>contribution to the community and you have good relations with a few, what
>more could you want?  Are you running for office?  Do they accept your
>money at the local stores?  Have the people started stoning your car when
>you drive through town?  If not then what is the problem?
>
>Jack
>Skylander

Ah, the perspective of a person from a big (make that huge) city. A nephew
of mine who lived in Atlanta for many years then moved to a small town in
Maine said he missed the anonymity of the city when he went to Maine.
Perhaps you have to be a small town or country folk to understand. If you
live in a big city it is accepted that your circle of friends/acquaintances
will comprise only a tiny portion of those around you. That *tiny* portion
can still consist of several dozen people. Small towns don't work like
that. Or at least they didn't used to. That is changing as 'outsiders' like
me move in bringing a larger world perspective to communities of people who
have lived their entire lives within 20 miles of where they were born.

Nobody throws stones, they greet me on the street (sometimes), they are
willing to take my money and I have no desire to enter politics but I am
regarded differently by those who trace an unbroken ancestry back through
several generations *in this place* than they regard those who share their
family's history. Increasing numbers of people like me are a threat to
their accustomed control over the community. It probably does not help that
I worked for "the government" (an institution they are generally suspicious
of) for 29 years, that I don't hang out drinking beer at the sports bar in
town, or that I am an 'artist' and a hiker. In other words, I'm
*different*. I related the true story once before on AT-L about the woman
who moved with her family to a small town in VT at the age of 3 and lived
there for the next 80 years in the same house. Her obituary in local paper
the local paper began "Although she was not one of us...". It's like that.
Subtle, but you feel it, you know it's there.