[at-l] Maine Wind Farms

Well, if you really want a explanation here goes:

Hold your arm (either arm) out at full length, spread your fingers fully
and focus your attention on your thumbnail. The, without shifting your
attention from your thumbnail, tell me if you are seeing your little finger
sharply. I don't need to wait for a reply to know the answer is "NO!".

Our eye sees about a 3? angle sharply. Everything else in your peripheral
vision is fuzzy. We think we see everything sharply because our eyes are
constantly darting from one thing to another and our brain remembers the
momentary images just like a TV screen 'remembers' the color of each dot on
the screen until the moving beam hits it again.

Unlike the TV though we are seeing constant, albeit out of focus, light all
across our field of vision all the time. If something in that field catches
our attention, our eye will immediately go to that. Our attention can be
caught by either a bright (and/or out of place) color, a bright object or
by movement, such as spinning blades of a windmill with flashing lights
bright enough to warn aircraft.

In other words what is relatively unobtrusive in a static simulation, will
not be unobtrusive when in motion with flashing lights. That will be
especially true at dawn or dusk when the scenery is most attractive to
artistic folks like me. To be blunt, when in motion with flashing lights
these things will stick out from the landscape like sore thumbs. Your eye
will be drawn to the towers like iron to a magnet. It's a throwback to our
primitive survival instincts. We need to be aware of things that might be a
threat so our brain makes us pay attention to such things over more subtle
non-potentially threatening things, like calm scenery.

Someone with animation skills (not me unfortunately) could represent the
actual impression these will make far more accurately than any still photo.
To give people you were surveying a more accurate idea you would need
multiple animations showing the windmills in motion with the lights and
under a variety of light (time of day) and weather conditions. I've seen
the still photo comparisons. They make the towers appear relatively
innocuous and they do not represent what you would actually 'see'.

Then of course we are left with the question, what sort of hikers did they
survey?