[at-l] Geothermal Energy Way Off Topic

In a message dated 12/20/2005 1:11:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
*
*
*

Well, here in the frozen North next to the Quebec border the temperature
well water is 55?
*
*
*

          I think the way it works is that your total thermal formula is
derived from calculating the outside temperature (-15* up by you sometimes), plus
the insulation ability of your house, plus the ambient inside temperature
before heating. This is the 'work' your heating system is doing to keep a
comfortable inside temperature.

            I'm assuming the geo-exchange system somehow jumps up to 55* as a
base closer in to the calculation. In other words, your inside ambient
average is boosted to 55* simply because the system has brought that temperature
inside your walls where it can be used as a base temperature to heat from. I
assume the average base temperature for the conventional system is somewhere below
that in between the -15* and room temperature.

             Seeing this, I assume geo-exchange increases the value of normal
insulation. In other words, it probably has a slightly exponential effect on
insulation. (The better the insulation, the better the efficiency of the
system). When your house is warmed the conventional system is "looping" in between
the -15* air outside and your heater. The geo-exchange is looping in between
the heater - a vast loop of 55* temperature source - and the -15* air outside.
In short, a new component of 55* "loop" has been introduced to your
calculation.

           I also thought about raising underground temperatures too high for
the normal biological balance, but if you look at the system's footprint it
is only a few feet of trench in a yard hundreds of square meters large. The
percentage of ground space affected is small. How that fits into "fragmenting"
underground climate I don't know. It would seem the deeper system would be less
harmful to the biological layer.

*