[at-l] William Henry Hawkins

<He struck me as too heavy for a real backpacker, but I learned later that
he was a champion hiker>

Wild Bill was one that taught me not to judge a hiker by his cover.
I only met him in passing. Even down in Tenn he was talking about doing a
yo-yo. Last time I saw him - big big guy with gut - he had a sprained ankle
and was taking a day off at a shelter. So of course I'm thinking he'll be
lucky to make it one way, forget about two. Then I found he'd already done
one thru-hike....

Even having learned from that, I think I let out an audible "Holy ****!!!"
when I saw him signed thru southbound at RPH....

skeeter