[at-l] Fleece Hat signup is ready

OK Boys & Girls, I'm ready to accept names for fleece hats. As I wrote last
Monday I'm willing to send out 20 hats this year.

Btw, thanks to Sly, Teej, Camo and SloeToe for their comments/reviews on these
hats. I hope they whetted the appetites of at-l'ers who are new to the list
since my last offer, Dec. 2003.

You need to provide your address, head size and the willingness to send me $1.50
after you get your hat. (That's the cost of postage & envelope). If you like the
hat, and feel the urge, then feel free to contribute a little more $$ to this
hat project to keep it all going. This list has been a great supporter in the
past, and with your help I've passed the 200 hat mark since starting this in
December '01.

On average a hat weighs 2 ounces, almost light enough for some of the hikers on
this list <g>.

So, get out your strings & measuring sticks and measure your head, around the
part where the band will go:
21 inches = Small
22 inches = Medium
23 inches = Large
24 inches = XL

Then Send Me:
Size in letters or numbers
Your Mailing Address
Man (manly colors) or Woman

Note: this year you can choose an all-black hat or an all-blaze-orange hat as an
option.

I'll respond to each email in turn, with a number that tells you where you are
on the list.

(I've included the earlier email below for reference.)

Happy Holidays to all of you. The hats might arrive for Xmas, but shortly
thereafter and in time for the cold part of the Winter. --RockDancer (Arthur
Gaudet)

******************************
On Monday, December 12, 2005 8:38 AM Arthur Gaudet wrote : Fleece hats again,
Malden Mills Polartec 200

Some AT-L listers might remember that I've offered freece fleece hats to hikers
for several years running. The last time I made the offer on the at-l list was 2
years ago. The first priority this year was to the hikers that are on the trail,
and those hats were distributed over Thanksgiving.

Since starting this project, Christmas '01, I've made 200 hats to give away. The
design is a 4-panel top, watch-cap with a band that can fold up to double
thickness. The material is top-level Malden Mills Polartec-200, straight from
the factory in Lawrence, MA.

(I'd appreciate it if listers who received a hat can chime in with their
comments on the kind of hat, how warm was it, and if it's been useful for them
as a hiker hat. New members of the list can be brought up to date that way. So
let's hear a gear report for a RockDancer fleece hat! Did they hold up? are they
warm enough? For myself the hat is too warm to hike in most days, e.g. in the NH
Whites, but great for standing around camp and for sleeping.)

Polartec is made principally from recycled plastic bottles. I mostly buy
remnants to keep the cost down but I mix in roll cuts for a variety of colors &
patterns. Polartec is warm & soft, doesn't pill as easily as other fleece, it's
the best fleece on the market! Making a hat takes 1 hour and costs me $1 in
materials. Similar hats for sale at Eastern Mountain Sports, REI and elsewhere
sell for $25-30.

As promised in Dec. '03, (last time the offer was on the list) I've used
donations that I received to purchase enough polartec fleece from the factory in
order to make hats again for hikers. I expect make 20 hats, free to those who
would like them. I'd like to be reimbursed for the mailing cost to get them to
you, about $1.50. Donations of extra money are accepted, the money to be used
for trail magic next year, or to purchase more fleece for more hiker hats.

I'm not ready as yet to receive requests so don't email me with your request.
I'll start the list in about 1 week (with another email) and I'll mention what
sizes I'll be making, how to order one. I have a great selection of colors &
patterned fleece to choose from. In the meantime I wanted to do this
pre-announcement so that those who read the list in digest mode are alerted.

Previous recipients are _not excluded_ from this offer since hats wear out in a
year or two, so don't hang back. Hats will be sent according to the order of
emails I receive once I send out the second email. I'll respond to your email
indicating what number you for the list.

--Arthur Gaudet aka RockDancer '97