[at-l] busted knee

In a message dated 12/11/2005 3:25:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
birdlegsray@gmail.com writes:
Hi--I'm new to this list and I have a question: I was recently diagnosed
with a torn meniscus (cartilage in the knee).  This is supposedly a pretty
common sports injury (I got it falling with a full pack while fording a
creek) and I was wondering if any of you had experience with this sort of
injury and/or have advice from a hiker's perspective on how to deal with it
(I have an orthopedic Dr. but would like to hear from the hiker community
because hiker advice will probably be wiser?lus you guys don't charge a
co-pay).   Thanks in advance...
**
Get it fixed... Then go hike... :-)
I had Surgery to fix my tear (resected) in the 90's (I think that means the
torn edge was cut away). Then was back to jogging & hiking again.
I now have more knee injuries (the doc said 2 meniscus tears (one on
each side of the left knee), and a cyst that is pushing on the nerves near my
knee causing numness. Of course he reserved the right to change his mind
after the MRI (I'll find out exactly what's wrong on Thursday).

Russ

Hotdog AT 03