[at-l] Fleece hats again, Malden Mills Polartec 200

--- Arthur Gaudet <rockdancer97@comcast.net> wrote:
> Some AT-L listers might remember that I've offered freece
> fleece hats to hikers for several years running. The last time
I made the offer on the at-l list was 2 years ago.
### My kids got two, one was just worn this weekend (though
tight on the nearly 12 year old head.

> The first priority this year was to the hikers that
> are on the trail, and those hats were distributed over
Thanksgiving.
### Nice ones, too!

> Since starting this project, Christmas '01, I've made 200 hats
> to give away. The design is a 4-panel top, watch-cap with a
band that can fold up to double thickness. The material is
top-level Malden Mills Polartec-200, straight from the factory
in Lawrence, MA.
### And don't forget the "RD" label inside. *Very* haute chic
stuff. Mine ran a marathon last weekend. (And came to work with
me today. Versatile!)

> So let's hear a gear report for a RockDancer fleece hat! Did
they hold up? are they warm enough?
### My kids and I used them on our T-Day weekender from Fontana
to Wesser, and the hats were mostly on our heads all weekend. If
it was really warm, it was just beanies; if it were really cold,
then the hats were doubled up (and we also had fleece
balaclavas). But our new RockDancer fleece hats saw the most
use, including night and day.

> Polartec is made principally from recycled plastic bottles.
### I just love that part.

> Polartec is warm & soft, doesn't pill as easily as
> other fleece, it's the best fleece on the market!
### And next to jacket wrists, I think hats take a boatload of
beatings. The hat Magic pulled out this weekend has seen two
winters' use by kids not particularly gentle with clothes, and
looks brand new. Can't ask more than that.

> Similar hats for sale at Eastern Mountain Sports, REI and
elsewhere sell for $25-30.
### Love that part, too.

> I've used donations that I received to purchase enough
polartec fleece from the factory in order to make hats again for
hikers.
### And "other trail magic", as I recall. I wish I were in the
area to help, or had more than one head to outfit.

> Donations of extra money are accepted, the money to be used
> for trail magic next year, or to purchase more fleece for more
> hiker hats.
### Yeah. Keep that in mind, and don't refuse so hard next time.
Gas has gone up, right?

> In the meantime I wanted to do this
> pre-announcement so that those who read the list in digest
> mode are alerted.
### This is the internet at its best. Stay warm this winter;
share the warmth with a loved one.

myfeetarenolongercoldtoe