[at-l] busted knee

Hi--I'm new to this list and I have a question: I was recently diagnosed
with a torn meniscus (cartilage in the knee).  This is supposedly a pretty
common sports injury (I got it falling with a full pack while fording a
creek) and I was wondering if any of you had experience with this sort of
injury and/or have advice from a hiker's perspective on how to deal with it
(I have an orthopedic Dr. but would like to hear from the hiker community
because hiker advice will probably be wiser?plus you guys don't charge a
co-pay).   Thanks in advance...