[at-l] Developing mental toughness for LD hiking

> The fire in my belly kinda dies out when I don't have a home base to  go
> back to for regrouping purposes.  How do you get over the need to  have a
> safe place to go to?  Or do you just re-designate your  sleeping bag as
> your safe place?

When I'm in the wilderness is the only time that I feel like everything is
going to be OK. It's the only place I feel safe.  Darkness and loneliness
are my dearest friends.  My danger isn't going home early, my danger is
never going home...because I am home...and
the house is just some kind of abomination.

> I think this is part of why I'm a section hiker.  I like to hike, I  like
> to backpack, but I'm also a homebody and I don't feel quite  right out on
> the trail for long periods of time.  Maybe I don't have  the explorer
> personality.

Different strokes for different folks.  Nothing wrong with that.

Shane