[at-l] Developing mental toughness for LD hiking

>> ### I think that Weary is spot on with this.  I haven't
>> personally seen too many goal oriented people do well on the
> trail.  If you concentrate on the process of your experience,
> the goal realizes itself.
>
> &&& You "personally haven't seen"? Get out there, Shane. Most
> people who're not goal-oriented don't make it very far. As soon
> as it becomes "not any fun any more", they're gone. If you don't
> have the "fire in the belly" -- the grit -- to weather a bad
> patch, you ain't gonna make it. There are PLENTY of bad patches
> on a throughhike. That "somehow rise above" part Weary writes of
> comes by getting down/dirty with your own bad self, and doing
> whatEVER it takes to get to good places (in your head) again. If
> I recall the thread correctly, this is just what Ginny was
> writing of.

I guess it's different folks for different strokes, but I have never been
goal oriented.  I am a process oriented person.  I live for today, not for
the place I might reach at some point in the future.

Kind of like this:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/fasterbetter.htm

Shane