[at-l] Pre-Thanksgiving Hike, Damascus, 2005

I decided this year to do a brief section hike southbound into
Damascus. Originally, I'd hoped to spend a couple of weeks like last
year, finishing most of Southern VA from near Punchbowl Shelter (Blue
Ridge Parkway mile 51). My girlfriend let me know that this was a bit
long for her and her girls, so I amended the plans for 5 days, 11/19
Saturday to late Wednesday 11/23 and drive home in time for
Thanksgiving. I had promised myself not to go further north than
Damascus given my experience with cold and snow last year on the
northbound journey. But the time and motivation was there, and I knew
I had the strength and skills for whatever the AT threw at me. This
year, I wasn't hiking alone, but had another section hiker, Almost
There, the wrestling coach at the local high school in his young 30's.

This section has been in drought much of 2005, and several friends
advised me of poor water supplies. I discussed the early planning on
a hiker's website (WhiteBlaze.Com) with suggestions to start at the
Mt Rogers Park Headquarters, making about a 64 mile hike. After a
tough time on a break in hike between Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gap (17
miles in North Georgia), we decided to try a shorter hike, beginning
at Dickey Gap or about 54 miles. I was ambivalent about whether to
try hiking with my Speer hammock, quilt and related warm gear, or to
play it safe with my little Nomad tent that has served me well for
over 5 years. Weather was predicted to be cold with very little
chance of snow, mainly Tuesday night. There had been a bit of rain
and snow the prior week, so we were more hopeful about the water situation.

The drive out of Metro Atlanta was delayed by the usual Friday
evening rush hour. Rather than going the entire way to Damascus, we
baled out in Erwin, TN and spent the night in Miss Janet's Hostel.
The bathroom has been elegantly repaired and remodeled, and the new
furnace was piping out the warm air. Janet was found at the local
theater, opening after renovations with Harry Potter's Goblet of
Fire. I slept well, although others claimed I had been busy making
lumber all night.

Saturday AM, we drove to Damascus, although with a couple of side
trips, including looking for an additional sleeping pad and reading
glasses. Mt Rogers Outfitters had all we needed, told us the water
was doing better but wasn't good, and that there might be a bit of
ice at elevation. L. Wolf introduced us to the fine cuisine of Do
Duck Cafe, a little diner sharing space with bicycle renters next to
the AT and Virginia Creeper Trail. (The Virginia Creeper is a
rail-to-trail popular with bicyclists that shares the AT for much of
the last few miles into Damascus.) Breakfast was eaten and L Wolf
drove us up to the trailhead at Dickey Gap. I made last minute
adjustments, and decided to go for the tent even though no rain was
predicted, but bitter cold was expected.

This portion of trail is fairly East to West, paralleling the NC/VA
line with a few loops to include the Grayson Highlands and other
scenery. We started about 11:30AM. Water was easy to find, the trail
was in great shape, and we managed to walk between 2.5 and 3 miles
per hour. We visited the new shelter at Hurricane Mountain, We
typically had Almost There ahead of me on level and downhill
sections, while I tended to climb faster. We stopped at Fox Creek, a
road crossing with water and a picnic table about 4:00, and decided
to make supper, but got a fairly late finish around 5 PM for the hike
up to Orchard Knob Shelter. I arrived first as the light began to
fade, with Almost There close behind. The campsite was fun. A church
group from a local university took the shelter. A group of mid aged
men were camping and making a fire, inviting us to tent nearby and
share their libations. The sky was clear although fast high clouds
were flying past in the night. Sleep was good.

Sunday AM, we started about 8:30AM, with Almost There (AT) heading
out first, and climbing to the first bald a bit ahead of me. I didn't
mind as I listened to Aqualung on my iPod, and then started listening
to A Briefer History of Time. The latter was a difficult audio book
about physics for the lay person. Thankfully, my batteries died and I
had to make to without media for the rest of the trip. We walked to
the Scales, a hunter's compound with dirt road and horse access. We
had some hope of running into L Wolf with some libations and a desire
to hike into town with us, but that was for naught. Over the next
hill, we began to meet the feral ponies of the Highlands. A bit after
noon, we reached Wise Shelter, and lounged in the grass and sun,
enjoying a bit of Snickers, cheese and other lunch. AT went ahead,
expecting me to catch him on the looming uphills. Hunters were out
spotting their deer in anticipation of the beginning of shooting
season, especially up on Buzzard Rock. Just beyond, we entered the
Grayson Highlands, and the herds of ponies.

While these are feral ponies, they are severely tame and keen to beg
for food, much like a very large Black Lab. I fed one some of my
dehydrated peaches, and was relieved when she finally tired of me and
let me move along. We noticed more high clouds coming, with students
on break joining the walk into Damascus. The students and the clouds
advised us of pending rain this evening. They chose the shelter at
Thomas Knob, just below Mt Rogers, the highest peak in VA. We found a
little campsite a hundred yards south, a bit away from the privy and
far from the excellent water supply. We were tired, but enjoyed
dinner and bedded down early.

The rain began about midnight, and got serious about 3AM. We packed
up quickly, making Instant Breakfast and prepared to head out into
the rain with our rain gear on. I was missing my orange fleece, but a
SOBO thru hiker had found it while night hiking into the shelter.
Great luck! The rest of the day was filled with rain, mist, wind,
cold wind, a bit of freezing rain, fog and general nastiness. At
midmorning, I crossed an exposed bald with a rocky top in the wind
and fog. White blazes were painted on posts and on the rock, with a
post leaning on a boulder as the trail appeared to go down a rocky
ravine, not much steeper than Agony Grind or Mt Albert. But the white
blaze at the bottom turned out to be a beer can, and the scramble
back up and to the trail was difficult in the wet and cold. I later
learned that AT had made the same mistake, and like me, was too
exhausted to think to toss over the post that someone had moved to a
wrong location. The next blaze was on the ground, painted on a rock
over to the left as the trail headed off the bald into the woods.

About 3PM, AT and I met again at Lost Mountain Shelter. We decided to
keep going further in hope of campsites at Bear Gap, or possibly
hitting Saunders Shelter. In any case, the plan was to start looking
for level ground and water at 4:30PM and be encamped by 5:30PM. AT
walked ahead as I took a water and rest break, feeling very wet and
cold when I stopped. We soon came to our first opportunity to share
the Virginia Creeper Trail, following it for a couple of miles before
the AT split up the hill onto side hill trail, while the nice level
Creeper followed the water.

The trail got darker, more hilly, and rocky. There was little water
available on this section once we left the Creeper. The lone water
source was a pond, and not an particularly appetizing pond. A poor
camp site was near this pond, and AT was waiting there for me. We
decided to push on into the darkness as we were wet, cold and needing
a more level campsite. We hoped the Bear Gap Day Use area was nearby
and would have more level ground. Night gathered around us as we
found the trail toward Bear Gap and US-58. Cars were going by, and we
thought about trying to thumb back to Damascus, but looked at our
wet, nasty selves and decided to look further. The day use area was
primarily a mountain biking area, we think from what we could see in
the dark. We elected to go back toward the AT and camped in the
middle of the little side trail on fairly level ground. We had
covered 17 miles, were beat up, wet and exhausted. I didn't cook, but
simply ate cheese, Snickers and some peaches and went to bed early.

Did I mention it was raining like gang busters? It resulted in
everything we owned getting wet, with severe condensation in the
tents, including AT's tent with a separate rain fly. As the night
progressed, I found the exterior of my down sleeping bag getting
moist, but it continued to keep me warm. About 2AM, the rain finally
stopped, as it turned to heavy wet snow. It periodically slid of the
tent, and didn't collapse it.

So, the sun rose, such as it was, about 7:30AM, and both of us had
managed to cobble together clothing that was less wet, less cold and
somewhat satisfactory. We were a bit over 10 miles from Damascus. I
ate some cheese and conserved what was left of my water, and headed
for Saunder's Shelter. I got there about an hour later, found water
and ate a bit more, trying to stay as warm and dry as possible. Snow
continued, with clouds occasionally breaking or turning to freezing
rain and mist. AT went back up to the Appalachian Trail the correct
way, but I took a blue blaze, that I suspect was the old AT that
avoided climbing over the local peak. Eventually, on the downhill AT
caught up with me and was amazed that I'd somehow passed him. Around
3,000 feet, the snow stopped, but mist, wind and rain persisted.

The Virginia Creeper trail came close to us, tempting us with it's
level path. We decided that while the Creeper was a few miles longer
into Damascus, there was less climbing and a better chance at getting
into Damascus fairly quickly. This is known by hikers as Blue Blazing
- leaving the White Blazed AT for an alternative route. I considered
leaving much of my wet heavy pack at a road crossing for the
AT/Creeper and US-58, but decided to carry on. Almost There was
slowed down by foot/boot problems with a swollen painful ball of his
right foot. Yet we continued to make good time, even when almost run
down by 3 bicyclists.

At 1PM, we were back to Damascus, sitting in the Do Duck Cafe,
ordering bacon cheeseburgers, coffee, milk shakes, onion rings and
fries. We had been flying as we walked this trip, with adverse
weather, plenty of climbs and several distractions. I figure I
averaged near 2.5 mph, and hit a bit over 3mph several times,
especially on our way into Damascus on Tuesday. While we were wet and
uncomfortable, there was no hypothermia, at least until I started
drinking my milk shake.

We visited the Lazy Fox B&B for the evening, sharing a room,
breakfast, TV and great conversation with Ginny, the 81 year old
proprietor. She is a very young lady, who serves as chamber of
commerce for Damascus, Abington and surrounding areas as she
encourages repeat visits, especially with my girl friend and her
daughters. For supper, we headed out toward Abington for Bella's
Pizza, which was a pretty good pizza, but didn't quite hit the spot.

The drive home Wednesday was uneventful but slow as I took detours to
visit Miss Janet and then to a Christmas Tree Farm for this year's
tree. We hit Waynesville and Fat Buddies BBQ and got the ribs, taking
extra home "for the dog."

But a 5 day planned trek took 3 1/2 days. It is very nice to be in
pretty good shape, especially in bad weather. This time, I absolutely
promise I won't go further north between November and April.

OrangeBug