[at-l] Veteran'sDay

Jim Bullard wrote:
>You know, all this gratitude to those of us who lived through our military
>experience, in particular myself, makes me a bit uncomfortable. I can't
>speak for others but I just did what I though I should, I did what seemed
>like the right thing to do at the time, and that doesn't require gratitude
>in my book but in this morning's paper I saw this
><http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/fb/>.

I saw that this morning - it's the message that I was raised with.  And that
I still believe.

There's a quote that applies here -

>People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
>ready to do violence on their behalf.
   ---- George Orwell

That is why you either volunteered for service - or were  asked to serve.
It is reason enough for those people who sleep peacefully to thank you for
your service.  And for you to accept it. Because you, for whatever time,
performing whatever duties were necessary, were one of those who stood
between them and those who would destroy them, their families and their
country.

Something I told someone else recently - which service claimed your time is
immaterial - you served.  And that's more than a lot of people who call
themselves Americans are willing to do today.

Accept the thanks - humbly.  And pass that thanks on to those who, today,
stand ready to defend "your" peaceful sleep.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/