[at-l] PAS toll info needed quick!

At 06:14 PM 11/12/2005 -0500, Linda Benschop wrote:
>Driving through New York state about wiped us out.  They charged us
>double, sometimes triple, and our little motorhome is  only 21 feet.  We
>actually had to take an exit, find an ATM and draw out extra cash.  Of
>course we had to pay the extra tolls to get on and off  again.  That was
>the ONLY state in the country that we had more than a small toll along the
>way across country.  We never even considered if they would take
>plastic.  Do they?
>
>I personally think that, since your sons are in the military, they should
>not have to pay tolls anyhow.  Maybe we could introduce a new bill that
>servicemen on duty don't have to pay.

I don't know what road you are referring to but if it's the NYS Thruway
there shouldn't be any toll at all according to the original financing
plan. Once the bonds used to build it were paid off it was supposed to
become a free part of the Interstate highway system but... that would have
put a lot of toll collectors out of work. Their union complained and a
bunch of politicians decided that they could use the continued tolls for
maintenance (and of course to pay the toll collectors) so they amended the
law to allow continued tolls. As if that weren't ridiculous enough, a year
or so ago they raised the tolls. I suppose to cover raises for the toll
takers. :-P