[at-l] Bone Mass

re: running, bone mass and knees

As Sloe Toe points out, I did start running fairly
recently. Did my first marathon 9 months after my
first recreational run, completed my first ultra
(52.4) 1.5 yrs after my firt run, and attempt at
Leadville this year (alas, only made 71 miles...have
to do it right next time).

As Mr. Toe also pointed out, I am far from the tall,
thin type one associates with runners. Toey then
talked about Gimli, the short and stout dwarf (as
opposed to a tall dwarf? :D) from "Lord of The Rings".
Apt comparison for me....

I should note almost all my running is trail running.
And in trail runs there is typically much powerhiking
on the uphills. My biggest strength, as I am a hiker
who runs. My muscles can gear down lower than most
runners. Tend to go faster uphill than most of the
runners.   Since I am going slower and doing trails,
the damage on my body is consideraly less than a
person who runs pavement.

And, at least I think, due to my body type I can
assorb shock pretty well. I did the NYC Marathon this
past week.  My two friends who also did it are still
hurting. Me? I am going on a trail run after work.My
running pace is on the slow side, but I hike faster
than most people (including my running friends). You
figure it out!

Anyway, hope to be active for many years to come. I
tend to hike long days and fast. Trail running helps
me stay in general good shape.

Mags

 ps. This past weekend was dominated more by food than
running. :) I sampled the best of NYC in food!
Grimaldi's pizza in Brookyln, a cash only Chinese food
restraurant in China Town, a small falafel stand run
by Syrian immigrants, the original Nathan's at Coney
Island, some delicious baked stuffed squid like my
grandmother used to make for the Magnanti Xmas Eve
dinners,  cheesecake at Juniors, and delcious bagles.
Damn, I ate a lot!..which is why I need to do a run.
:D .

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com