From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
To: At-list <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:45:51 -0500
Subject: [at-l] Decline in Back Packing

List,
The info below came from the web site listed. I'm sure these have a lot to do with less interest in the trail as a side to reduced outside activity. BUT kids take after their parents and today's 2 working parents who are too tired after working all week, traffic congestion, long commutes, bussing, and not taking time with kids all contribute. Its too easy to let the child plop down in front a TV, dvd, game boy, or whatever than it is to talk with them, take them places, and get them to be physically active. The new vans/SUV's have dvd's in them to keep the children "entertained" so they do not disturb the parents. I know I am a getting older codger, but when we travelled we took books, played games, looked at the scenery and fussed and complained and learned to entertain ourselves. We did not sit down to a meal in front of the TV....it was a real treat we thought when something special allowed it. So its the parents that need to get off their duff and spend some time with the kids outside and its time for some parents to get control of the parent/child relationship. I tire easily when I hear a parent so concerned that their children will not "like" them.......the kids will like them a lot better if the parents run the show and not the children.

Oh, well that is my 0cents worth. :-)

Mainframe

http://www.activelivingresources.org/obesity_and_inactivity.html

A Number of Factors
The rise in childhood obesity is due to a number of factors that influence eating and physical activity. These factors include:
  * urban and suburban designs that discourage walking and other physical activities;
  * pressures on families to minimize food costs and preparation time, resulting in frequent meals using convenience foods high in calories and fat;
  * reduced access in some communities to fruits, vegetables, and other nutritious foods;
  * fewer opportunities for physical activity at school and after school, as well as reduced walking or biking to and from school;
  * less time spent playing outdoors replaced with more "screen time:" television, computers, and video games.