[at-l] My old balls are moldy

> We always used vinegar water, not clorox water.  I was taught that clorox
> weakened stitching and damaged the leather.  Don't have any facts.  Just how
> we did it.
 >Jan, what strength vinegar water do you use?

Inexact science.

When I used Clorox, it was just a few drops in a large bowl because,
as you say, it can be harsh.
But it does kill mold "remnants" so using it in a wipe before
long-term storage helps in. It may damage leather, but I didn't see
evidence on my tack, which has lasted a good three decades now, with
just the odd stitch repair.

With vinegar, I'd use "a splash" in a large bowl.

The main thing is to wipe off the oily dirt the saddle soap works up
out of the leather pores, re-acidify and then seal the newly clean and
moistened (not wet) leather with an oil (but not too oily).

Kind of like the three bears - just right.

One other note - if you see mold on leather clean it off ASAP, as that
definitely damages the finish and leather itself - you'll see rough,
raised patches on the formerly smooth surface, and cracks on straps.

LeatherShoe