[at-l] First Aid... for the new guy

"I don't really recommend do-it-
yourself stitches with this somewhat unsanitary gear, but I'd rather ?
do that than have my insides hanging out."

Among the stories that Rusty of Rusty's Hostel, south of Shenandoah NP, tells hikers is the time he sliced his leg open with his chain saw and how he sewed himself up with a needle and monofilament fishing line. His hostel is many miles from the nearest town (Waynesborough, VA) and has no phone and no electricity, and he has no medical insurance. "I figured I best sew it up myself," he said. Each stitch, he said, took about a half hour. BTW he illustrates the story by baring his thigh with its several inch long crude scar.

Weary