[at-l] Appalachian Trail history question

In a message dated 11/1/2005 3:49:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:
*
*
*
***   Sorry, but one-word slights are no way of
> dealing with MacKaye's otherwise complex plans. My question to
> you would be: "Name me the other way the Trail could have gotten
> built without MacKaye and what would we have now without him?"

CDT.  PCT.  Various trails in Europe, Asia, and other countries...
*
*
*

           "Show me how members are hostile to the AT."

             Well this answer for one. The 'tone' is definitely one of
defiant disproving of a MacKaye-centered sense of the AT. The purpose and method is
trying to disprove attempts to explain what should be otherwise obvious about
the Trail's purpose.

          My response to Shane would be to show me a "Regional Planning"
article written about any of those other trails. Or a conservation theme implied
by such. Show me the "Barbarian Utopians" from any of those other trails.

         What you are doing is trying to make the AT just another
long-distance trail. It's the reason why that I'm criticizing. Surely the AT has much
more in its background, deserving of much more than this. What you are basically
doing, whether you realize it or not, is arguing a case *against* the AT. I
can't understand why members would feel a need to argue against this key aspect.
What we are talking about here is regional planning and conservation as an
inclusive sensibility for members...

*