[at-l] Esbit, was at-l] Da stove question again---~~~

Bror8588@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/1/2005 3:17:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> garyticknor@starpower.net writes:
>
>     BTW,
>     evaporating alcohol fumes are not good for your liver, or so I've
>     been
>     told. Probably as bad as Esbit stink ;)
>
> Cooking with alcohol while camping in the out-of-doors provides very
> little opportunity to inhale the fumes from the alcohol.  Don't you
> think?

We were discussing spilled alcohol which "evaporates in fairly short
order", not cooking with alcohol. I do think that  cooking with alcohol
while camping in the out-of-doors provides very little opportunity to
inhale the fumes from the alcohol. The alcohol is consumed by burning.
We were discussing evaporating spilled alcohol.

> Whereas those who use the Esbit tabs might be tempted to use them
> while in their tents.

Might might might. Are those who cook with alcohol not similarly
tempted? One sounds like a good way to burn a hole in the bottom of the
tent (or worse), the other sounds like a good way to set a tent on fire
(or worse).

> Now that brings up the advantage of Esbit over Alcohol in that on a
> stormy evening or morning it is possible to cook in protected space
> with Esbit whereas it is not safe to do so with Alcohol.

I do not think much of the fumes from Esbit, despite the manufacturer's
claims that the product is non-toxic. I am not so tempted, I think
ventilation here is important.. So in the name of safety I don't see
that as an advantage for Esbit.

> On the other hand, if a separate shelter (awning or such) can be
> arranged then alcohol can be used without getting wet albeit one would
> be standing during the cooking and eating, whereas cooking in a tend
> might allow one to sit or lie down while performing kitchen chores.

If a you carry a separate shelter, why not just carry a whisperlight and
have done with it? I thought the point here was to minimize pack weight.
If you are in a shelter already, then Esbit is still more convenient. By
a tad.

- Greenbriar