[at-l] Downward Trend on the AT

The numbers are down but the success rate is up.  I believe more
people are well informed of what it takes to do a thru hike.  So,
those that attempt a thru have a better chance of success.  And a lot
of other people draw the conclusion that they will not succeed so do
not attempt.  People on the trail in 2004 seemed extremely well
informed about light weight gear, pace, weather, food.  Many sections
hikers and weekend hikers seemed to have a better idea of what long
distance hiking is about.  I really belive the internet plays a major
part in the higher success rate and lower starting rate.

Art