[at-l] Bandanna Quest

Banadanas..such a simple piece of equipment, really.

Good for a head covering, first aid, wash cloth, sweat
band, and who knows how many other uses.

My normal bandanna is starting to get frayed and worn
thin.

I have a few "novelty" bandannas (PCT, AT and CDT) but
they are smaller and I really don't want those to
bandannas to get worn out.

So, I went about replacing my bandanna. Simple..right?

Well, let me tell the tale.

I went to my usual spot for basic items, the Boulder
Army/Navy store. Besides military surplus ($2 OD green
wool glove liners. $7 boonie hats!
Woo hoo!) they have non-military gear and clothing.
Quite a bit. It is where I buy fleece hats, gloves,
long underwear, socks. You know..
the basics we always lose and/or need replacements
for.

So, they'd have bandannas..right? Well, yes. If I want
camo, skull and crossbones or blaze orange (which may
not be a bad idea right now). In all fairness, it is
the end of the season where people would want
bandannas; stock is a bit limited until probably
Spring. The skull and crossbones may give me a bit of
Harley rider air..but people who know me better would
bust out laughing. My "ride" is an 18 speed
bicycle. Easy Rider I ain't.

So, I went to a well known mountaineering store. They
had TIE DYED bandannas. Cripe...I am going to look
like I should be serving wheat grass juice at the
local co-op.

So, went to another store that had bandannas for sale.
Should have known better. They also sell scented
candles and incense. Bad sign. They had bandannas with
peace symbols on them. I have nothing against the
sentinment of peace. As the brother of a person who
serves in the military part time, I am all for the
concept if possible. But wearing peace symbols
on a bandanna while hiking or trail running? Well if
the tie dyed made me look like a pusher of green, icky
juice... the peace symbol bandanna makes me look like
I should going to a PETA rally. And I really, really
like a burger after a hike.

Went to another store. Had every high tech piece of
fabric. Clothing that practically hikes on their own.
But ask for a simple piece of cotton and they think
you are from Mars. Yes, yes...I know you sell really
great
technical hats that will soak up my sweat and disperse
it. It probably will also be aerodynamic, catch
sattelite radio and have an RFID tracker in it for
when you get lost.  But  I already have a hat (see my
$7 hat) thankyouverymuch...and it does not have a big
logo plastered all over it.

Finally, went to local hardware store. They had
bandannas in glorious paisley! Old school! $1.50!
Bandannas in view..oh, the joy! Good ole McGuckin's.
They sell everything! Of course a Home Depot
is coming into Boulder and McGuckin's (fifty years+ in
business, family owned) future is debatable. And my
source of normal bandannas as well....

So there is my "trip report" of trying to find
bandannas in my fair town.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com