[at-l] Day Hike in NH

Some students and teachers from the school from which I retired are
staying at my place for the weekend to do some hiking in the Whites.
Yesterday we hiked as section of the AT along Franconia Ridge.  There
was snow and ice above 3,000 feet but not much.  Rime ice on the
rocks and trees made the mountains in the area truly account for the
name White Mountains.  Mount Washington could be seen crowned in 34
inches of powder left over from a storm that passed through 5 days
before.   We hiked up the Falling waters Trail to Little Haystack
where we picked up the AT for 1.7 miles over Lincoln and Lafayette
then we follow the Green Leaf trail down to the Green Leaf Hut which
is now closed for the winter.  There have been recent renovations to
this hut including the addition of a wheelchair ramp.  Federal
Regulation?  I have no idea how a wheel chair could get up any of the
trails leading to this hut.  The snow was not melting on the ridge so
temperatures must have been in the 20's.  Great views in all
directions.  The kids were wonderful.  They looked out for each other
and did not get too spread out along the trail.  There were more
french speaking  hikers from Canada on the trail than Americans.  We
got down off of the ridge as the sun was setting and made it back to
our vehicles just as it got dark enough for headlamps and just as it
began to rain.  A stop at a pizza joint and then a 1 hour ride home
for showers and a well needed sleep.

Gabby
--

Life is Good!!!