[at-l] One Year Ago Today

Pokey and I got up early on October 20th, 2004 to watch the sunrise
over  Lower Jo-Mary Lake from Antlers Campground in The Hundred Mile
Wilderness.  It was very cold.  There was ice on my tarp and on
Pokey's Hammock.  We stopped at Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to to check
for messages from Kate and Burnie but the register had already been
removed.  From the rocky shore of Pemadumcook Lake we spotted the
Katahdin covered with a hood of snow.  Pokey went bezerk.  He was so
excited.  It was such fun for me to witness his enthusiasm.  I was
very concerned that the lake had been drawn down.  I hoped we would
still be able to make it to White House Landing for my mail drop and
a night's stay.  I was less concerned about snow on Katahdin because
I figured it would melt by the time we reached Baxter State Park in 3
days.

As it turned out Linda and Bill at White House landing were very
surprised to find hikers still on the way north.  They provided us
with a great lunch and dinner.  We found out that Kate and Burnie had
called asking about us three days ago.  They were hoping we could
join them at Rainbow's House in Rockport ME.  We would not make it on
time to visit with them.    We ended the evening listening to the 7th
game of ALSC playoff between the Yankees and the Red Sox.  There is a
nice fire going in the wood stove.

Oct 21st, 2004,  We had a spectacular dinner at White House Landing
and nice boat ride back to the trail.  It was very cold all day long
so when we took breaks it was on the sunny side of a lake or stream
to take advantage of the reflected sunlight.  We did a short day to
Wadleigh Stream Lean-to.  We have been doing shorter mile days to
better enjoy and drag out the end of our adventure.  Who wants to
return to the rat race?  It was hard to prepare dinner this evening
because of the cold.  We were in our sleepingbags keeping warm in the
pitch black at 6:30 PM.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman