[at-l] Night Hike

Hey All,

My most memorable night hike occurred on one of the worst
hikes that I have ever been on.  In October of 2000 I and two
of my friends were backpacking fro Dennytown Rd to Bear
Mountain Inn.  We were doing most of the mileage on the first
day (12.3 miles).  To add to our difficulties we got to
Dennytown road pretty late in the morning; thus got a late
start.  We started out hiking at a very fast pace, but soon hit a
pretty steep climb, followed by a series of PUDS.  We stopped
for lunch on a rocky knob just short of Canopus Hill Road.  I
really stiffened up during lunch and the climb up Canopus Hill
was as struggle for me.  To add to my misery I had pulled a
groin muscle in my right leg and an old war injury in my left leg
had flare up.  At the top of Canopus Hill was the last place I saw
my hiking partners until the next morning.  I took a couple of
vitamin-I, did a 30 minute cool down and drank some water.  I
was showing the first signs of dehydration.  I really don?t
remember much about the climb up Denning hill, but I did find
Greymoor Friary very interesting and I took some time to
wander through the grounds.  My butt was whipped by the time
I reached route 9, but in the distance I spied a dispenser of the
elixir of the gods, a Pepsi Machine.  Walked down the road to
the machine, got a Pepsi and returned to the trail.  There was a
stile over a barb wire fence, so I sat down on the step, popped
a couple of Vitamin-I?s and slowly sipped the Pepsi.  I felt
better, and went and got another Pepsi.  I was now facing a
dilemma, over the past several hours I had been averaging
only 1 mph and I was three miles from the campsite.  Do I go
on or do I try and find a place to spend the night.  I chose the
latter.

The air had turned cooler with the setting sun and the character
of the trail had changed.  The light had transformed the trail
into something almost magical.  I walked through spots that
were a lot where the air colder than the surrounding area.  Also
the air was very calm and I could hear very small sounds.  As I
walked along I was slowly transformed into a creature of the
dust.  The pain was disappeared, the headache was gone and I
flowed into the landscape.  A log was across the trail-it was the
right height to be a seat and I sat on it to have a drink of water
and listened to the tree crickets? chirping.  When I got up to
walk again the sky had turned dark and the trail was glowing
from the fluorescence of the fungi breaking down the leaves on
the trail.  I just followed the light.  It seemed that all of my
senses had just awakened from a long sleep.  It was somewhat
strange to see a white triangle floating until one got to the tree
that had the AT blaze on it.  The moon rose and the
fluorescence was gone.  I was now hiking through a world of
shadows and shades of grey.  The trail was fairly easy to follow,
and then suddenly I realized I ha lost the trail.  I could not find
my flashlight and I saw a gap in the trees almost straight in
front of me.  I headed toward the gap, but no blaze.  I
backtracked to the trail and tried several time to follow it, but I
lost it.  I finally gave up, unpacked my sleeping bag and went to
sleep.

I am not sure what woke me up, but when I did the moon was
pretty high up in the sky.  I figured that I had slept for three
hours.  I felt a lot better, walked to the trail.  There was enough
moonlight to see that the trail curved to the left.  I rolled up my
sleeping bag, put on my pack and followed the trail.  The
moonlight had transformed the trail from one of soft shadow to
a much starker landscape.  It was a lot easier to follow a trail
and after about ? hr I came to a cliff, the descent down to
South Mountain Pass.  I was not going to try and negotiate that
in the dark.  It was probably around midnight and I hadn?t
eaten since noon.  I dug through my backpack for a snack and
found my mini-mag flashlight.  I had my snack and water, and
then started the descent.  I hadn?t gone 50 yards before I had
to turn on the flashlight.  The magic was gone and before me
were cold rock and a switch back trail.  I quickly made it to the
campsite where I rolled out my sleeping pad and sleeping bag
and went to sleep under the stars.

The next morning I woke up feeling very little pain, rejuvenated
in fact.  It was still not the best hike out, but the memories of a
magical evening hike helped me make it through the day.

Grey Owl