[at-l] Re: Night Hike was How's yours?

--- tinman@antigravitygear.com wrote:

> Great post!  Thanks for sharing.  You have now put
> night-hiking on my must
> do list.  Question for the list...what would be the
> perfect night hike
> IYHO?
> AT or otherwise.  Season, trail, etc.
> Tin Man

Night hiking is simply magical! I love it. You will
often see animals that are hidden during the day, the
beauty is almost surreal.  Your senses are so alive.
Even a popular trail has no people!  I do at least one
a month. This month? I am doing 4!

The "perfect" nighthike is elusive.  So many cool ways
to do a night hike...each of them perfect in their own
way.  If you have never night hiked, I suggest going
on a full moon with a trail you are familiar with.

Fall is a great time to night hike. The moon is the
closest, and it really appears large.  One magical
time  to night hike is during winter. A full moon
snowshoe is something every person should experience
at least once in their life!

My most memorable night hike this past year was a full
moon hike of Longs Peak (14300'):

My posting from July:

> A full moon hike of Longs Peak. This 14er is almost
> always crowded as it is in Rocky Mountain National
> Park. Do it starting at midnight during a full moon,
> though, and there is no one! Woo hoo!
>
> Simply awesome. Hiking under the stars, above
> treeline, with a full moon? Cool! Made for some
> interesting navigation challenges near the end..but
oh
> so worth it. Seeing the sunrise over the plainsw
with
> alpenglow. Gotta love it. Packed in a thermos and
some > coffee cake for everyone. A little breakfast at
> 14300'. :) Had the summit to ourselves for well over
> an hour. > That NEVER happens on Longs Peak in July!
What a > memorable night!

> Made it back down...have been up for 30+ hours. Was
> bit tired! :)
>
> Pics: http://gallery.backcountry.net/co05?&page=29

Yeah..I love night hiking. Next week is an annual
"Ridiculous Pumpkin Haul". Take a large orange gourd,
climb up to the summit of local peak. Carve jack o'
lanterns. Light at summit. Fun for everyone!

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com