[at-l] The day I forgot my cell fone...

The only new picture is the Ktaadn one...and I didn't get that 'til today.

I don't have one of the guy who made me wait, nor do I want one...

-"Camo"

In a message dated 10/17/2005 10:12:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, camojack@comcast.net writes:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo_Jack_hikes_again/aah

Good pictures!

How come you didn't get one of the guy who made you WAIT!

Sky JackFrom daveh at psknet.com  Mon Oct 17 22:09:42 2005
From: daveh at psknet.com (David Hicks)
Date: Mon Oct 17 23:14:45 2005
Subject: [at-l] Ruck definition

I don't think this is a case of it being a "present meaning" adopted by the
group as our own.

I was not at the original Ruck, so I do not speak as an authority as to who
picked it and why the name was picked.

However, my dictionary shows Ruck as derived from Middle English "ruke" and of
Scandinavian origin and related to Old Norse "hraukr".

OTOH, it shows Rucksack as derived from German.  Now there might be a
connection between the Old Norse and German, but it isn't all that clear how
they are related -- as neither definition shows any such derivation, or
relationship between the words "ruck" & "rucksack".  Anyone have a good German
dictionary, which shows that "rucksack" is derived from Old Norse "hraukr"?

BTW -- Jim was there at the first Ruck and his definition for Ruck is very
close to what my dictionary shows, i.e.,
1) a: an indistinguishable gathering : JUMBLE b: the usual run of persons :
GENERALITY
2) the persons, or things, next behind the vanguard.

So, I feel comfortable that Jim is both correct in the history of the name's
use from the beginning and correct in the formal use of the word -- w/o any
specific relationships to day hikes.  As I understand it a small group of
experienced hikers and other AT-Lers met in Harper's Ferry in 1997 [well
before any announcement by Ryan in 2002 (?)] to check out each other's gear,
ask and answer questions about planned for some class of '97 thru hikers --
albeit I do believe that [as still tend to happen at Rucks] that there was a
day hike the first year.

So, I feel that Ruck means waht the dictionary says it means.

Chainsaw

BTW  Middle English "ruke" also implies combustible material and given the
flame which erupt amongst us....