[at-l] Ruck definition

In a message dated 10/16/2005 7:27:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

A Ruck  is a gathering of disreputable characters.  That's why we kept the
name.

Aren't we all in that category (at times)?

Actually, the word is related to Rucksack -- a small pack, smaller than a
Backpack (or at least it was until the ultra-lite phase became popular), that is
 used for Day hikes and so it stands to reason (mine) that the word  Ruck
might be related.  And it is in a strong way for there are day  hikes planned
during the mini gatherings that are called rucks.  Of  course, as I read the
original announcement by Ryan in 2002(?) I came to  understand the present meaning
that the group has adopted as their  own.

But whenever a group comes together regularly it develops a  personality.
The southern Ruck seems to have one that is unique (I would  even say esoteric)
and from what I read on the at list, one that is continuing  to develop.  I
can't affix the reason to Dawg and Shel--no--E--y alone but  those two seem like
major influences on the excitement end.

Perhaps someone will film the proceedings in Cabin C this year (and that
cabin D is beginning to develop into a rival from what I read).

Thanks for the continuing information regarding RUCKster habits.   Someone
should make up patches for these rucks so we can identify the culprits  on the
trail.

Skylander