[at-l] Fall Leaf Report, part Deux

Got back in the Highlands this weekend. I wasn't sure if it was
hunting season in some of the areas I would be, so I wore blaze pink,
which the powers-that-be surely would have chosen for hunters if it
wasn't so... pink.

I was thinking there would be lots more color than there was two weeks
ago, but it seems like the leaves are just browning/yellowing and
falling off, with the odd portion of a maple here and there starting
to flame up. I really missed the magical golden canopy near Hywy 603
that the striped maples can make when the light shines through.

However, once we got at elevation, into the Highlands itself, fall
began to perk up. Actually, in the hollows of the Highlands it was
full-blown fall. Not a breath-stealer this year, but still cozy and
colorful, with the occasional really flamboyant soldier. I was glad to
see it.

Lots more ponies nearby this trip too. Pretty breezy up there, with a
frost last night, so I expect the colors will sharpen up shortly.

My money would be on next weekend, and the weekend after if one is
going for peak color in southwestern Virginia.

Helluva moon too.

It sure was good to be back on the AT. I love a number of trails, but
this one always feels like coming home.

I'd post a picture of my homecoming if I knew how, but I don't.

ColorfulShoe

--
     	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/