RnR in a grass skirt...WAS...RE: [at-l] TJ Bitching--Longish

RnR wrote >>>  I know you were trying to be friendly Shelly, but if you called me a fraud or other insult it would have been less
painful than that particular reply...

	Yes, RnR, my invite was meant in a friendly manner.  If you took that as an insult, I wholeheartedly apologize.  However, I
am still attempting to discern what insulted you.  Was it the wearing of the coconut bra?  Grass skirt?  Having fun?  Or was it the
part of meeting me?  I really do want to meet you.  I would love to sit down and discuss the purpose of the trail, protection of
wilderness, and Benton MacKaye's philosophies more in-depth.  Even though you've scoffed at me when I've shown interest in your
philosophies and a desire to understand your logic you've dismissed me, and yet I'd still like to meet you.   You refuse to share
your wealth of knowledge without at the same time imparting a sharp verbal spanking.  Now, I'm not saying that I don't like to be
spanked--but that's a whole 'nother story for a different list.  And, I only hope that Thee Clyde didn't get any pictures of that,
or else I'll not only have to sell my house, but also my soul to get those pics back.  LOL
	Naw, my invite wasn't meant an insult, but ifin ya really wants to be insulted just let me know.  I find that I can be a
really creative person when inspired, and you continually do so through your frequent condescension of me.  However, I can laugh it
off because you really don't know me.  If you really did, it'd prolly scare the hell outta ya!  :-)
	Call you a fraud?  Nah, RnR, I wouldn't do that because I really do think that you have a true love of the AT and/or Benton
MacKaye.  I don't dismiss you out of hand simply because you choose to remain anonymous.  How is it that you can readily do so with
me simply because I like to joke around and have a good time every now and again?
	You really have no clue about me.  You've never spoken to me in person and heard that passion and reverence in my voice when
I talk about the trail or hiking.  You've not been beside me on the trail hearing me grunt while swinging a Pulaski, seeing me
sweat, or hearing me cuss while doing trail maintenance.  You've not seen the disgust on my face while I've had to pick up trash
from the woods to pack it out for some ignorant slob.  You've not seen me helping my girls to learn about the myriad of things they
need to know in order to survive in the woods as well as taking care of the wilderness and the Leave No Trace principles--because my
girls, THEY are an integral part of the future for wilderness protection.  You've not seen the monetary donations I've made in
support of not only the AT but also the Benton MacKaye Trail among other trails as well as many other trail, hiking, & wilderness
supportive organizations.  You've not watched over my shoulder as I penned or emailed letters to legislators to help the trails and
wilderness protective actions.  And, you've not seen the tears of awe in my eyes from the sheer beauty of nature to know why I do
all of these things.
	I am NOT looking for trail sainthood or even a pat on the back for what I do to support and protect my true love.  And, I
didn't list my actions outside of this list for kudos; I did it simply to show that you only see one facet of me.  As with many
others on the list, you included, we do good works for the trail that go unheralded.  Not many of us are comfortable talking about
those good works or blowing our own horns.
	However, I be damned if I let you make me feel bad about or beneath you when having fun every now and again.  You know what?
I think with all the many ways that each of us on this list as well as other bodies of trail communities that give back in whatever
form we choose that we DESERVE to get together and have a good time.  We DESERVE to joke and laugh and commune whether it be online
or at a ruck. We don't have to be stodgy, uptight, and serious all of the time to show our love and support.  Heck, we don't even
have to agree all of the time on every infinitesimal aspect of hiking.  However, we do DESERVE to get to know each other over a
banquet of food and relax amongst others that get where we come from in our passion for the AT.
	The question is---Do you, RnR, do you really understand and know the rest of the folks on this list let alone me?  It's
really hard for me to fathom whether you do or not.  You deem it damaging to the future of the trail and its purpose for me to joke
online.  But tit for tat, Sweetheart, while I don't know everything that you do outside of these internet forums, I can only view
you from your posts at times as a divisive individual who thrives on hurting others and crippling the trail community which in turn
decreases understanding of the trail and its purpose--which in another turn makes a bleak outlook for the future of the trail.  You
have told me that by not undertaking serious discussions only in internet forums that I give newbies to the list the impression that
we are all just a bunch of goof-offs with little credence to our messages.  However, because you spend so much of your time in this
online community attempting to get a rise out of others, being condescending, and slicing into their passion with the stroke of the
keyboard, you give the impression to others that this forum is a place where one has to watch what they  say else someone will
attack them.  I know because I've been on the wrong end of your sharp keyboard, but I try to not let you deter me.
	Nevertheless, I would enjoy meeting you--for no other purpose or ulterior motive than to get to know you and what drives
you.  And, if you don't want to wear the coconut bra, I'll wear it for you.  Heck, I'll even get lei-ed for ya.  Wrap that cloak of
anonymity around you, assume another real as well as trail name, rent a car, use a false home location, and come to the Soruck.
There were well over 100 folks there last year, and I only knew about 20 of them.  I invite you to come get to know the trail
community.  I invite you to come get to know me.  Goodness, if you'd come, I'd even lead a discussion on Benton MacKaye and would
even cover his purpose of the trail.  Come hear what folks think in person.

Tenacious Tanasi
   (Shelly Hale)