Bivy failure Re: [at-l] Post Gathering questions

Good advice.

BTDTGDT

Back when I bivy camped I never had a problem, if I got a bivy up and got into
it BEFORE the deluge.  Not only completely dry inside when the outside was
covered in muck from bounce/splash, but (as I have posted in the past) when I
had to dig out of snow.  OTOH, setting one up in a deluge (especially had it
been taken down wet that morning) was a horse of a different hue.

Also, I have had tents where the fabric (that was supposed to be waterproof)
leaked -- one right out of the box.

All the bivies, which I know of, are basically large bags all of which should
be waterproof -- none of that "don't touch the fabric" style fabric from fly &
body tent construction.

The following test work best with two or three people.  Go in the backyard
turn the bivy (tent, raingear, whatever) inside-out, put a couple gallons of
water in it (while keeping the inside, now on the outside, dry), and lift it
off the ground creating a bag, or sag, full of water, rotate & lift the fabric
so that there is a sag full of water well off the ground.  Watch for leaks.
With three folk have one watch for where it spring a leak, while the others
manipulate the bag.

Chainsaw