[at-l] Trip report(s): Ktaadn, Mahoosuc Notch

OK, like I said I was gonna on Sunday, I summitted Katahdin on Monday, returning via the Knife Edge and Helon Taylor Trails. I started with 3 other guys, 2 of whom turned around before we reached the tree line...something the 3rd guy should prob'ly have done too. I kept reminding him that there's only just so much daylight, and he kept telling me he realized that, but it didn't seem to make any difference in his (UNBELIEVABLY SLOW!!!) pace. I had never been hiking with this fellow previously; he showed up at my local cave club's (Philly Grotto) September meeting, and when I mentioned I'd be in Maine this week, he told me that a group which included himself would be climbing Katahdin on Monday, October 3rd...and that I was welcome to join them. Suffice it to say that we finished well after dark, but we had flashlights. I could've finished in daylight personally, but being the nice guy (spelt: F-O-O-L) that I am, I spent a cumulative total of HOURS waiting for him. C'est la vie. All's well that ends well, an' all that.

YESTERDAY, I hiked through Mahoosuc Notch, twice. Once Northbound, t'other Southbound. I encountered a Flip-flopper heading South on my first time through, the only person I saw in 7-8 miles of hiking yesterday. His name was Eric, he's from Georgia, and did GA-Harpers Ferry, then headed for Maine. He had no trail name, at least, not so far.

Now I'm gonna get off of the Bethel, Maine Chamber of Commerce's computer and head for the Gathering...

-"Camo"