Dinosaur equipment I still gots... RE: Victor: another dinosaur... Re: [at-l] Help Me!

There was a good article some years ago in the Adirondack Mountain Club
magazine comparing pack weights from the 1930's with todays (mid-weight)
gear. It actually came out the same. You didn't carry a tent back then
'cause the shelters would be open, no sleeping pad because you used hemlock
boughs, no stove because you built a fire, and no water filter because you
drank what was there. The cast iron frying pan, hatchet, canned food and
blanket roll made up the difference...

skeeter

             "Gary Roberts"
             <GRoberts@npr.org
                                       "Sloetoe" <sloetoe@yahoo.com>, Mark
             10/05/2005 02:03          Hudson/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
                                       <at-l@backcountry.net>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Dinosaur equipment I still
                                       gots... RE: Victor: another
                                       dinosaur... Re: [at-l] Help Me!

Now that would make a great presentation at the Gathering some year.  If
someone could gather a whole bunch of ancient gear and lay it side-by-side
with what we carry or is available now.  And explain the differences,  Way
cool.  Kind of what the AT museum is in need of I think.