[at-l] Hinkin' and Fall Color Trip Report

I was in central Vt. for the weekend, the leaves are a week to 10 days behind typical seasons. They need a killing frost to get things moving. On my way home I detoured and went up Moosilauke,  temps in the 70's, some color on the eastern slopes but certainly not peak. The  ct. valley to the west is still green.
John
amy <askowronek@mindspring.com> wrote:
On Oct 2, 2005, at 9:47 PM, Jim Bullard wrote:

> At 07:17 PM 10/2/2005 -0400, Jan Leitschuh wrote:
>
>> The color up in Virginia is still green at first glance. I though
>> there might be more.
>>

> North of the Adirondacks it's still mostly green. We're supposed to
> get more 80* days through next Wednesday at least. No frost at all
> yet. Went to Old Forge last weekend right though the heart of the
> mountains, North to South and back by a different route. Almost no
> color. This is usually the peak weekend. Fall is running 2-3 weeks
> late here.

Ah, Old Forge. I worked right near there one summer. Now I'm all
nostalgic about the trails up there. Skinnydipping in Sis and Bub
Lake, putting tiny wild strawberries in my water for flavoring,
running into bear and deer constantly, watching the aurora borealis
flame silently in the middle of the night.. Pretty up there.