Solo AT start (was RE: [at-l] Help me!)

Hi Nira,

Welcome to the list!

Unless you currently have a hiking partner with whom you already have a
great trail relationship, I think your best bet for finding compatible
people to hike with is if you go ahead and start the trail alone. Given your
starting time frame, if you plan to stay at or near the shelters on the
trail, there will be plenty of people around to keep you company during the
"down" times such as breaks and wherever you decide to spend the nights. As
a matter of fact, if you want to be alone, you will have to definitely avoid
shelters and spend your time at more obscure campsites.

The previous paragraph is just the start of a whole write-up about starting
solo or with a partner at my web site.  My write-up also includes
information about considerations if you do find a partner before starting
your thruhike.  You can find the rest of the write-up at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/partner.html

I started the trail alone but found many members of my closer trail family
at the shelter on Springer Mountain that very first night on the trail.

I hope this gives you a different perspective.

Have a wonderful hike!

Mara
Stitches, AT99

P.S.  I also highly recommend you come to the Gathering this weekend if at
all possible.  -MF