[at-l] Any birders out there

On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Mark Hudson wrote:

> I'll bet it was a vertical reaction <g>
>
> On my AT hike somewhere in Va I stopped at a shelter for a morning
> break,
> and there was a small pile of stones sitting in the front corner. I
> hiked
> on and stopped at another shelter for lunch, and there was another
> little
> pile of stones. Hmmm. The shelter I stopped at for the night had yet
> another little pile of stones, and a register entry about the  "#^%
> $^&#$
> whip-o-wills".
> A couple of nights later, just as I was about to fall asleep, a
> whip-o-will
> called directly in front of the shelter, and I'm thinking "Oh boy,
> this is
> it"... it called once, only once, and stopped, and it was the only
> whip-o-will call I heard on the whole trail.

I took my dog to a dog-friendly campground in northern Maryland
shortly after I first got her.  A whippoorwill set up right over our
tent.  During much of the night, we were subjected to a duet - the
bird would sing, and at the end of every verse the dog would "woof"
once.   First it was annoying, then it made me giggle, then it was
annoying again.  I tried holding the dog's mouth shut, yelling at the
bird, yelling at the dog, pleading with the dog, shining a light at
the bird, all in vain.

-amy