[at-l] Gathering: I'll be going and I need your help for a new workshop

Hi all,

You can add my name to the list of those who will be there.  As a matter of
fact, I'll be giving three talks again this year.  Two, the Footwear talk
and the GearTesting talk, I gave at last year's Gathering.  This year, I'll
be adding a talk about the efficient use of Hiking Poles.  You can read the
synopses for all three talks below.

I will not be presenting a Lightweight Backpacking talk this year though I
believe there will be one on the schedule.

I do need some help.  While I can give a presentation about hiking poles
with just my own pair of poles, it would be more interesting if I had some
extra pairs for people to try out.  It would also be great if there was some
variation in the makes and models of the hiking poles.  Mine are rubber
handled, canted, Super Makalu poles.  It would be great to see some Black
Diamond Flicklock poles, straight handled poles, and cor-tec or similar
poles.  Some Leki or BD lightweight poles would also be great.  Other
makes/models?

Let me know if you can help me out and as soon as I know when I'll be giving
my talk, I'll post again with more information about how to find me.

Thanks so much,

Mara
aka Stitches, AT99

Footwear

One of the most important pieces of gear you wear on the trail is your
footwear.  Join me for a discussion of the various types of footwear
available to hikers.  We?ll talk about everything from the fit, weight, and
appropriateness of various types of footwear to accessories such as insoles,
socks, gaiters and more.

Hiking Poles

This workshop discusses how hiking poles can make your hiking more efficient
and reduce wear and tear on your knees, ankles, feet, and legs.  We will
show the effective use of straps and techniques for moving along ascending,
descending, and flat trails.  Peripheral discussion of various
manufacturers, hiking pole accessories, and alternative uses of hiking poles
will be limited.

Gear testing

For every user of every piece of gear, there is an opinion about that piece
of gear.  If you have a few of your own opinions and wish you could ensure
that manufacturers would listen to what you have to say, come find out how
to write gear reviews and participate in gear tests.  The gear testers at
BackpackGearTest.org work with a wide variety of manufacturers who are
interested in what hikers have to say about how their gear performs in ?real
world? situations.

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor