[at-l] Weary?

I have it somewhere.  If you really need it I can find it.

Clyde
From: RoksnRoots at aol.com (RoksnRoots@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 30 14:33:52 2005
Subject: [at-l] Bush Weakens Endangered Species Act

       From NY Times:

          " By a vote of 229 to 193, the House of Representatives moved
Thursday to undo some of the central provisions of the 32-year-old Endangered
Species Act and to require that agencies enforcing the law reimburse property
owners if the law's impact reduces the value of the land.

     Environmental groups expressed dismay at the measure, which, if enacted,
would represent one of the most far-reaching reversals of environmental
policy in more than a decade. Leading House Democrats also said it created an
unlimited financial entitlement for landowners.

       The prospects for Senate passage are cloudy at best; even the bill's
sponsor, Representative Richard W. Pombo of California, the chairman of the
House Resources committee, said he did not expect quick action in the Senate.

       The vote, which came after the defeat of a rival measure that reworked
the law but required enforceable protections for animals and plants in danger
of extinction, was the culmination of a 12-year legislative mission by Mr
Pombo. The Bush administration gave its formal support to the measure a few hours
before the vote.

       A former rancher and City Council member from Tracy, Calif., Mr. Pombo
has made property rights and opposition to the Endangered Species Act the
lodestar of his political career. "I'm really happy," he said after Thursday's
vote.

       Under his bill, the process of putting a species on the federal list
of threatened or endangered species would become more difficult, with a new
requirement for economic analysis of such decisions.

      But its core provision - one that was, in some respects, mimicked in
the rival bill - eliminates the current system of designating "critical
habitat," territory deemed critical to a species' survival. Such a designation can
open the door to significant land-use restrictions. But environmental groups
argue that the designation of habitat is a crucial prerequisite to the survival
and eventual recovery of an endangered species.

       The Pombo measure creates "recovery teams" that prepare "recovery
plans" based on "the best available scientific data." The teams can delineate
lands that would help a species. But as compared with the current system of
critical habitat, federal agencies would have less obligation to take a species'
needs into account in making land-use decisions.

       And such teams would not always be required; the law also allows the
political leadership of the Interior Department to undertake this function.

     The legislation also has provisions for the reimbursement of property
owners whose land values are reduced by the law and financial incentives for
those who work for species conservation, which several Democrats derided as
federal payments for obeying the law.

      Mr Pombo argued that under current law, federal wildlife management
officials had little incentive to negotiate.

     "With this bill there is a cost."  (Snip)

     But Jamie Rappoport Clark, the executive vice president of Defenders of
Wildlife and the Director of the Fish and Wildlife Service in the Clinton
administration, said the Pombo measure was " a deadly blow to the protections of
the Endangered Species Act."

       "This is an irresponsible developer's dream," Ms. Clark said, and
noted that the bill "makes it easier to use deadly pesticides" of the sort that
were implicated in the previous declines of the bald eagle and peregrine falcon.

      The decline of such species - a focus of Rachel Carson's book "Silent
Spring," one of major tracts of the environmental movement - has long since
been reversed.

      [ R&R  - This is patently misleading and false (typical Times
politically-motivated untruth) Bird and other species have been crashing ever since
Carson. The reason isn't pesticides - it's sprawl]

       (Snip)

      Those supporting the rival measure, which gave federal agencies more
power to manage land use to benefit species than Mr. Pombo's bill did, argued
that species like the bald eagle, the manatee, the sea otter and the grizzly
bear were saved from extinction by the act. Those in the Pombo camp argued that
barely 1 percent of the more than 1,200 listed species had recovered to the
extent that they could be removed from the endangered species list.

          (Snip)

               R&R:

             You can see Pombo supports the "It isn't wilderness anyway"
mentality...

*