[at-l] Well.....

In a message dated 9/27/2005 3:25:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
GoVolsKelly@aol.com writes:

Thou  shalt not kill?  Or did I miss some fine print?

I think so.  The war episodes according to the same book indicate that  there
were instructions to slay the enemy.  Then there were those very ugly
punishments for adultery (stoning to death), and the slaughter of those who were  in
opposition to the One who gave the original ruling.  It is all in the
context and so on.  This book is the record of one people and their  relationship to
the Almighty.  A sect that developed under Yeshua and was  further
illuminated under Saul turned Paul continued the traditions (well, some  of them) and
eliminated others (well, some others).  It gets a little  complicated.

Then if one looks beyond that segment of religion we see another Semitic
Religion that lived by the sword and even today thinks that it is OK to kill
their enemies.  Of course, so does most of the Christian nations.   And, come to
think of it, there are even Hindus who kill their enemies.  Of  course, the
Hindus have other sources for their moral guidance.  Those who  worship the Sun
in Mexico and other parts of Central and South America, thought  nothing of
sacrificing young virgins (says something about the advantages of  fooling
around at a young age).  Killing seems to take on a sacredness  among some
cultures.  In others it is done to protect.  In still  others it is done to correct.
Personally, I don't participate in this  ritual but if my life was threatened
I would do everything to prevent the threat  from coming to fruition.  And, I
sure would do my part to protect those  around me (in relationship or in
proximity).

So, when I hike I try to keep aware of those animals that would like to use
me for food.  Hiking poles are fragile but could be used to inflict damage  on
an attacker whether wild boar, wild dog, wild bear, wild cat, or wild  human.
 My instinct would be to maim rather than kill but whatever is  necessary to
protect myself and others would be done.  Screaming does not  work.  Hiking
past danger is an option most of the time but...

The fine print is there if one reads the whole book.

Skylander