[at-l] Need help with a funky toe....

In a message dated 9/24/2005 12:13:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
shellydhale@earthlink.net writes:

An?, ya  thank ats a-zay fur usin? ta tawk lak thas all du tahm?  LOL

Having attempted to imitate the language of the Ozarks and having failed
miserably; I have a new admiration for the energy it takes to speak  Tennessean.
So many have told me that "Southern" is an easy way of  speaking (actually
they told me it was a lazy way of saying words) but I have  come to realize that
it is indeed more difficult than the correct pronunciation  (as taught in
schools in NYC).  Of course, when words such as  "correct" and "right" or "wrong"
or any word indicating a value judgment,  are used then hackles are raised.

Hackles are raised in all parts of this country by people of every  political
persuasion and even religious folks get their hackles raised at  times.  It
is difficult to raise one's own hackles but it seems that others  can raise
hackles by using critical powers or sometimes by doing things that the  person
whose hackles are raised objects to having done in their presence.   Sometimes
people who are elected to an elected office raise the hackles of  many.  If
they were elected to some other office they might not have the  power to raise
hackles but then again they might.  Perhaps there is someone  on this list who
is an expert at hackle raising. If so please respond by private  e-mail as we
wouldn't want this list to be used for frivolous topics.  Of  course, some
might not consider the raising of hackles frivolous, in which case  then, do
respond to all on the list.  I heard somewhere that even hikers  get their hackles
raised when they hear cell phones ring or even when people  talk on cell
phones in the many shelters along the AT.  Heck, even if one  has a cell phone deep
in the pack and it comes to light the hackles rise  up.  Oh, yeah!  There are
many topics on the AT that are hackle  raisers.  I better not mention any
more.

Well, I got off topic a bit but language sort of does that to me.   Perhaps
getting off topic is better than having my hackles raised, then again,  getting
off topic on this list has the tendency to raise the hackles of those  who
don't like off topic blather.  Then again, hackle raising (since it  happens so
often to people who hike the AT) is on topic.  Now there's a  debate topic.

About that toe -- a quick way to get rid of the nail is to hit it with a
hammer.  The nail will come off in a day or three and then a new one will  grow.

Skylander