[at-l] So, if...

Gotta love a smartass. No, really! :-)
-"Camo"

From: spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com (Jim and/or Ginny Owen)
Date: Fri Sep 23 15:16:14 2005
Subject: [at-l] The Gathering

Saunterer said that he was worried that there might not be enough
interesting workshops to make the long drive and gas expense worthwhile.

The Gathering Schedule is usually not posted online until very close to the
time of the Gathering, sometimes only two or three days ahead.  People are
often still volunteering up to the day the Gathering starts and it is a very
intricate feat to juggle dozens of workshops with the times and rooms
available. (Everyone wants to present on Saturday - nobody wants Sunday
afternoon.) The coordinators try to avoid having competing workshops - but
never really succeed.  One thing to remember is that Hanover always has a
lot more workshops offered than Pipestem.  I don't know why, but that has
been consistent over the past 10 years or so that I've been attending.
Maybe New Englanders have a better volunteer spirit?

I also really enjoy the workshops.  I love the slideshows, seeing pictures
of beautiful places I may someday hike or have already hiked, and I enjoy
hearing presentations on trails that I want to learn more about.  Sometimes
I go to workshops on trails I've hiked in order to refresh my memories or
join in the discussion, sometimes I go to trails that I will probably never
hike, just to see if they can change my mind.  Some of the discussion forums
have been really interesting.  I never get to see all the workshops I would
like to see, because there are so many options.  And sometimes my option is
simply to sit in the sun with a couple of friends to chat.

I go to the Gathering for a lot of reasons -- number one is to be with
people who KNOW what long distance hiking is about, to see old friends and
make new ones  -- but I also go to learn -- and I always learn something
new.  I also go to be inspired, and hopefully to inspire in my turn.  That
happens both through the workshops and slideshows and the discussion that go
with them, and also through the people we get to meet.

I understand the money issue - it's a long drive up to Hanover and gas
prices aren't likely to go down over the next few weeks - but I won't miss
the Gathering.  Having the chance to spend time with folks who really
understand is too rare in my life.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/